Friday, July 14, 2017

Write what you know they say

Novel writers are told to “write what you know.” I suppose that’s why I write books set in Kentucky and enjoyed my vacation last summer to Montana where I visited the setting of my Montana McKenna series.

Yet, I don’t need to always stick with what I know. I’ve also gone back in time to write a book set in 1283 England and 1890 Louisville.

In the same respect, a few of my heroines are characters with occupations or lifestyles that I have known: single mom, teacher, stay at home mom, and grandmother.

But most of my heroines have lives I’d love to know. Take a look.

  • Pet psychic
  • Owner of a thoroughbred horse farm
  • Movie star
  • Country music singer
  • Daughter of a millionaire
  • Thoroughbred exercise rider
  • Bookstore owner
  • Veterinarian (my money went to Auburn so my daughter could become one)
  • A rancher’s wife and dude ranch owner
  • A rancher’s daughter
  • Clerk in a fly-fishing store
  • Saddlebred horse trainer
  • A medieval lady 



What about you? Would you like to suspend disbelief and become one of these heroines? What other fantasies would you like to explore?

2 comments:

  1. My heroines usually have professions I'd like to try. Oddly enough, the one I'm writing now is a writer...and I'm having some trouble with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take bookstore owner and daughter of a millionaire from your list. Of course, bookstores are notoriously risky so I'd probably have to be a millionaire's daughter to stay afloat.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner